Table Top finish

Reaction score
Hi There
i have sanded my table top and finished it by using OSMO Polyx -oil about six coats, however over a period of about 4 weeks the surface appears to have marks over it.
what do you think would cause this to occure and am i using the correct finish
Ivan

Attachments

Reaction score
According to the label you have used a good product. The one thing you have to remember though is that it is not a sealant like a poly finish. Although your wood has protection it is still able to “breath”. It will probably require additional waxings for some time. I have an Oak kitchen table that was built in 1926 that I refinished with oil and wax. I still have to wax it every 3 months or so to keep it in perfect shape.

Reaction score
hi there
thanks for the reply would you then lightly rub down and then repaint rather than sanding back to bare wood and starting again
Ivan

Reaction score
Osmo Polyx is one of the best finishes for durability and water resistance.
For starters, six coats is probably three coats too many.
Maybe your surface is too absorbent and maybe you are using too coarse an abrasive.
240-grit should be fine.
Use one coat of Osmo to seal the raw wood. Allow plenty of time, days in a warm atmosphere to dry and cure.
Nib (sand) it down gently to remove fine fibres that have raised.
Gently wipe with an almost dry paper towel dampened with white spirit to remove dust.
Re-coat. If the atmosphere is hot, I use a small container with white spirit in it and dip the brush in it every two or three dips in in Osmo, just to keep a wet edge.
Don't judge the finish until it's dry. Six coats could simply be stopping the whole lot drying and curing
I don't use anything else for wood finishes and I've tried most of them from hot waxing to raw linseed.

Ask a Question