stuck upvc casements x3

Reaction score
Hi

Bought this flat a few yrs ago. it has new upvc windows installed about 10 yrs a go

All windows have to side opening casements.

Some of the casements have become stuck... i can turn handle and push the frame which opens on either the top or bottom (depending on window - bedroom bottom stuck one side living room both sides on top) but not both so i cant open the window.

No joint on inside to remove glazing and I am on first floor... ideas please..?

BTW - window in kitchen started to get stiff and I applied lots of WD40 to the bars and hinges and it's smooth... wish I had done that before on the other two!

Reaction score
It sounds as though the mechanisms have jammed inside through rusting. Unless you can open the window sash to spray the mechanisms (silicone spray is better than WD40 but WD40 is vetter than nothing) or bully it open then you are stuck. Most mechanisms can be changed but you are better to find a local company who offers servicing facilities as there are many different mechanisms available. All in all, you may be best to go for new windows rather than throwing good money after bad. You'll get a better energy efficient window and they should also enable you to get out in the event of a fire.

Ask a Question