Soundproofing Mass Loaded Vinyl or Green Glue

Reaction score
I suffer from noisy neighbours. The noise is either m usic, their child crying for hours on end or them having sex :?

I've been researching soundproofing for a while. I was set on using green glue. I was planning on building a 1 inch thick stud timber frame to the existing masonry wall. Then attach 9.5mm plasterboard to the frame using screws. Apply green glue to this first layer of plasterboard and then install a second layer of plasterboard over the first one using screws. Seal all joints with acoustic sealant as I go. Then tape and joint the plasterboard joins.

However, I'm now looking at Mass Loaded Vinyl. I've found a website which sell a product called NSSW2+ which is made of two layers of acoustic plasterboard, sandwiched between 5mm of mass loaded vinyl. They suggest I attach these sheets to the wall using drywall adhesive and use acoustic sealant between the joints. I will then attach a further layer of 9.5mm plasterboard and tape and joint the plasterboard joins.

Both methods will cost roughly the same amount but the MLV option uses less space.

Any ideas on which is better? Thank you.

Reaction score
Personally I don't have experience of either methods, but I would go for the panel method.

In work, we have to provide acoustic insulation for airconditioning units on roofs.

We use one of two methods.

Basically you need to either absorb the noise or block the noise.

If we are blocking the noise, this is when we are preventing noise from leaving an enclosed space, in these cases we use a dense board, like viroc board.

If you want to absorb the noise (generally for an open space) then we use a less dense material, I kind of mineral wool.

In your case I would guess a combination of the two methods would be best.

You are basically trying to stop air vibrations.

I would go for the panel method.

I hope that this helps.

Ask a Question