Sealing windsill leak

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

It looks like the mastic or whatever is shot.
Scrape it all out on a dry day and try drying it out with a hairdryer.
Once damp is into brickwork it's difficult to get it out.

I'm assuming the frame and the wondows are UPVC.
Use some good quality silicone to re-seal it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the response. Ordered some silicone and a gun just now.. fingers crossed it works!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would inspect what is happening outside too. Water should not be getting in at all. If you just seal the inside water will still get in and soak into your window sill and brickwork. You want to stop the water getting into the bricks so you might need to do a similar job outside around the window frame.

Reaction score
I would inspect what is happening outside too. Water should not be getting in at all. If you just seal the inside water will still get in and soak into your window sill and brickwork. You want to stop the water getting into the bricks so you might need to do a similar job outside around the window frame.
Exactly!

Reaction score
Probably a bit late, but do get a decent grade of silicone. You need a construction or building grade at least to have any chance of good adhesion if it's PVC. Personally, I use the non-silicones now like Geocel (Dow Corning) "The Works". Allegedly cures under water. Certainly fixed my leaking plastic water butt when applied on the inside.

Reaction score
PS
If it's a PVC external window sill, these are fitted separatley from the main frame.
The frame just sits on the window sill with no seal. Allededly water resistant because of the profile, but with rain and driving rain, could push water where least expected.

Ask a Question