Interior sealing glass to wooden frames.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently doing work around the bungalow involving six reglazing jobs; three are single pane three are double glazed. To the bungalow rear we have a little used two roomed extension which suffers extremes of our climate; today it's a hot 28C but in winter it plummets to sub zero. In winter the windows suffer condensation which runs down to the frame causing a dirty black line along the putty joint; last winter was bad and although daily I removed the excess water it must have got well into the joint now with the hot weather it's actually blown some of the paint lifting and cracking it.

I'm raking the joint out and this time intend to run paintable sealant along to prevent water getting into the joint; I'm using Geocel painters mate caulk;

1626536658194.png

I'm always willing to learn from those who know more than I do so can any member suggest a better method please; funds aren't a problem but I want to do jobs once and do them well.

Painting_0001.JPG

This is the extension room I'm working in.
Painting_0003.JPG

Here's one of the glass to frame joints being raked out; the linseed oil putty is very old and brittle; it had also sunk a bit so was a water trap; any dirt on the glass over the years was washed down by the condensation to form an ugly black line.
Painting_0004.JPG

Not pretty but I'm not the type to simply rub down with abrasive paper and cover with new paint only for it to quickly fail. The frames are now very dry so perfect to receive plenty of TLC; I don't care how long it takes or what it costs I want to do a top job. I've just replaced the worst window glass with a new double glazed unit but it was a terrible job having to open up the rebate.

Kind regards, ColinW.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your nice post.
Wow, great working and finishing is so smooth. And the color, White is the divine color.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thank you for your nice post.
Wow, great working and finishing is so smooth. And the color, White is the divine color.
Many thanks and you're most welcome.

I can now add finished pictures; for many years I've used oil based white gloss paint on the frames and cills and whichever brand I used it always turned yellow over time making it look rather old. In 2016 I converted to expensive Benjamin Moore paint having always admired how the clapboarded houses appeared to withstand the weather but BM being American it wasn't available here in the UK until I noticed "Shaws" had started to sell it so I was delighted to buy the BM paint; at the time I was giving our bungalow exterior a comprehensive makeover and now five years on the exterior still looks as if though just painted; I used over five gallons of BM Aura Exterior Satin.

Out of interest for this interior paintwork I thought I'd try Benjamin Moore Advance Matte in white; I used a paintbrush on the frames but used a 2" mini foam roller on the wide cills getting the paint on fast and even before it started to dry; this paint dries quickly.

Advance Matte BM_0001.JPG

Here's the kitchen window frame and cill also in Advance Matte with Harvey our neighbours cat admiring it. I replaced the DG units.
Advance Matte BM_0002.JPG

Sorry about picture quality but our dire Yorkshire climate is dull this morning. I replaced the single pane of glass with a DG unit; this was the worst window for condensation which used to bring dust down into the putty joint leaving an ugly black line; the putty over the years had sunk a bit forming a channel; this time after installing the DG unit I ran a small bead of sealant alond the bottom joint so if any condensation does collect it wil run onto the cill hopefully keeping the joint clean but the DG unit should prevent the condensation or at least drastically reduce it; this coming winter we'll have background heating into the two roomed extension.
Advance Matte BM_0003.JPG

A close up; this area was really bad but with a lot of TLC now looks fine; I ensured the wooden frames were very dry before painting.
Advance Matte BM_0004.JPG

Pretty as a picture; they do say a coat of paint hides a multitude of sins but I took the job right back to bare timber and started over. I also enjoy woodturning as seen.
Advance Matte BM_0005.JPG

Using the 2" roller on the cill made a beautiful job of it; not a brush mark to be seen and no glare from gloss paint; I'm unsure how this Matte paint would stand up to frequent handling but here it should be fine; this Matte paint looks so different from the gloss; it doesn't feel smooth to the touch but then I don't go round rubbing my fingers on the paintwork; being water based I'm sure this Advance white will remain white for a long time.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us.../product-catalog/awiap/advance-interior-paint

The 2" rollers are cheap and I bought 60 of them so discard when used but the brush washes out with water in a couple of minutes; I used Harris synthetic brushes bought cheaply at Rufforth Auto Jumble at only £1 each I bought twenty. The paint goes on incredibly easily with excellent coverage.

https://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/f/FDDMRF/

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question