Transform Interior Metal Door Frames

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help!
I have 3 interior welded metal door frames in the interior of my house. 2 bedroom doors and 1 bathroom door in a hallway all next to each other. I had 2 more in the bedrooms in the closets (more on that later). I have recently refinished hardwood floors. The frames are ugly and original to the house and we are looking to replace them. I worked to remove the 2 closet door frames and what a task that was. The frames had to be cut out with a sawzal in sections until I got to the bottoms of each leg. The bottoms of the frames were welded into L brackets that were nailed into the subfloor beneath the hardwood. After a painstakingly long time I was able to remove the brackets and the entirety of the frames from the closets. I now have large holes in the hardwood where the frames used to be. I bought a pre-hung door to fit the opening as a test and the new door and jamb does not cover the holes! I cannot go any more narrow with the door to help cover the holes either. For the closets I'm thinking about adding a threshold to the base to cover the gaps in the hardwood, but for the hallways that will not work aesthetically. I need help to figure out what to do next with these doorways! I thought about a few options:

1: Replace the doors from flat panel to new 6 panel pre-fab masonite doors with new hardware, but I need to "disguise" the ugly metal frames. Trim over/around it etc. I think I'd prefer this option, but I can't figure that out yet - help?

2: Remove the frames and doors, have the floor cut up between the jambs (I JUST refinished it! Don't want to do that...) and refinish a large section of it again so that it matches the existing flooring.

3: Remove the frames and doors, figure a way to clean cut the hardwood myself (ideas for that??) and lay in a transition strip of matching hardwood in the doorways.

4: Any other ideas?? Suggestions I haven't thought of?? Help is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would really help if you posted a few photos as its quite hard to get to grips with your complex issue from a verbal description.

Ask a Question