Sealing off an indoor window AC unit

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
I have an indoor window AC unit which I purchased last year and am obviously using again this year. I am trying to save on my energy bills, so last year it came with all sorts of foam material to use. This turned out to be a nightmare because taking out the unit for the winter the foam stuff stuck to everything and it took me days scraping it off by a razor blade.

What I am looking for is ideas, or someone who knows a lot about different types of those spray foam sealants you can buy at any hardware store. This isnt the same thing as last year. The stuff last year was physical foam you stuck to everything. I want a spray foam which I can seal off the window for the summer especially the 1 1/2” gap at the bottom which in areas is wide open to the outside where bugs are able to come in as well as heat.

I have looked at a lot of foams and closed ans open cell foams, but is there a type where I might be able to take it off with not acetone but water at the end of the summer? If anyone has any ideas I can really use them. I have some rolled up towels under there now which look “honkey” if you get my southern drift. Thank you everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Line the gap with a plastic bag and spray the foam into it, thereby making a fitted cushion that can be removed with ease.

Ask a Question