Question on reshaping plenum above furnace to reduce noise, other options?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My home has a vertical geothermal HVAC system in the basement placed on risers above the concrete floor in case the sump pump quits unexpectedly. This puts the top of the unit close to the underside of the joists above.

The distribution plenum above the geo unit was installed years ago by a local well known HVAC company who changed everything over to forced air from electric baseboard heat and it is basically a square box. Because the HVAC unit is on risers, the plenum/box is pretty short.

I'm told the outgoing air hits the box straight on just under the ceiling joists and creates the excessive noise I'm hearing when the geo unit is running in stage 2.

Since there are other issues with the trunk lines I need to address as well, I was wondering if it would have any value to try to radius the plenum to guide the air into the trunk lines versus having it bounce off of the box before finding it's way where it needs to go?

I have tried increasing the insulation in the joists above the geo unit and will try to fit a piece of noise reducing board in there as well but I''m not going to try to fit the board in there now if I'm redoing the plenum.

Thanks

Ask a Question