Washer dishcharge into vent question

Reaction score
Hello
I am putting washer and dryer on main floor.
When opening the wall found pipe in picture.
There isn't anything directly above this on next floor but a wall.
I suspect it is the vent for the bathroom on the other side of the pipe wall in picture.
The bathroom sink etc are not against the wall.
I was going to take the discharge down to the basement but since this pipe is there is it acceptable to cut into this vent and discharge there?

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What your referring to is called a "wet vent". No. You can't drain down that. You will nothing but problems with traps clearing (from vacuums) in various areas of the house. Empty P-traps = sewer gases into the house!!

You'll need a drain, however, you can vent your upstairs washer/dryer using this pipe.

Too, remember, while the new washers use less water, they drain with increased velocity! Use the suggested 2" ABS for it's drain.

Reaction score
What your referring to is called a "wet vent". No. You can't drain down that. You will nothing but problems with traps clearing (from vacuums) in various areas of the house. Empty P-traps = sewer gases into the house!!

You'll need a drain, however, you can vent your upstairs washer/dryer using this pipe.

Too, remember, while the new washers use less water, they drain with increased velocity! Use the suggested 2" ABS for it's drain.
So I am finding out about the 2in new, verses the old 1.5in for washer drains. I will be doing 2in to a main drain in basement and using the vent as a vent only.

Reaction score
FWIW. Didn't happen to me....really, it was a friend. They got a new washer and the above velocity comment reminded me of the 'event'. They put in the new washer and shoved the drain hose into the old drain which had served them well for ever. Well, after a few days, they did a load of wash and as they had not done anything to hold the drain hose into the drain pipe.....whooosh... water all over as the drain hose launched out of the drain pipe. I guess the moral is to make sure there is something that fixes the hose to the drain pipe.

Ask a Question