Do I need a washer on a brass external tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am fitting an external tap. I have a bare copper pipe poking through the wall and asked Screwfix what else I needed to complete the fitting. They supplied the tap itself and the base fitting (both shown in the photograph).

When I screw the tap into the base plate (using PTFE on the thread), the union for the cold water supply pipe points upwards. This will mean extra wazzing about because the supply on the old tap entered from the bottom. There is no way to adjust this; the tap tightens where it tightens. But I am wondering - should I have a fibre washer in here? This seems likely to me. Which is a bugger because I don't have one and Screwfix forgot to mention this.

Advice gratefully received.

Kind wishes - Patrick

IMG_1263.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It appears this hose barb (or tap as you call it) does not have NPT threads. Google "What are NPT threads", and you see these in an increased graduation mechanical threaded. While PTFE tape can be used. it not as the taper performs the seal for water, oil, or gas.

If your in a bind, and don't want to drive too far, this might work as a "bootleg"\

Re-apply approx 8 wraps of PTFE near the tap valve body (see in RED in picture. Don't overtight-ten the valve.... once the valve is about as tight your hand alone can musulailry do it, use a wrench for a final 360-500deg clockwise rotation to align the valve's downspout in it's desired orientation. If it work, and doesn't leak....leave it. Next time in town hardware store, ask for a 1/2" close nipple (NON NPT in brass), and a 1/2" (NON NPT) brass coupler. Undo all, take out PTFE and put it together oil that,

Ask a Question