Maytag Washer A710 leaking at rusted tub bleach inlet

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello – our Maytag Washer, Model LA710, SN 645574 JT of 1982 has developed rest at the nipple on the bottom of the tub 2-5484 (a few inches above the motor) where the bleach hose 2-14433 attaches. The bottom half of the steel tubular nipple has rusted away, so that there is no simple way to stop water from leaking out.
I was initially confused by the presence of the plastic legs of the 2-14434 that protrude there.
Anyway, we want to repair the machine if possible.
Photo attached ...
Maytag A710 rusted tub connection.JPG

or at https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3o3ky49empp1q2/Maytag A710 rusted tub connection.JPG
Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am wondering if I can just apply a huge glob of epoxy and close off the damaged port (after de-rusting).
Would epoxy be waterproof in such an application?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a photo from slightly below, after a bit of clean-up –
cleaned 2 - from below.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, firstly, if there is an ferrous metal (iron) in these, you batter charge it brass, stainless, or ABS.

I had a problem years ago, and it drove me nuts. I spliced 5/8" HWS do a dishwater with a steel hose barb about midway if length. No good.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
God, my typing was terrible. Should be: "...any ferrous metal...", "...you better change...", and "...midway its length..."

Then I said "No good"!...How ironic!!!!....My typing is "No good". Ha Ha :)

Ask a Question