Porch heave, door won't shut in cold temps

Reaction score
Good day, looking for some ideas how to prevent this constant issue during the winter months. I have a steel entry door and the back porch heaves a bit and the door basically won't shut. I can't fix the heave. Just wondering if there are some things I can do to work with the door so I don't have every critter and the cold blowing in all winter long. This house is old and on footings.

Reaction score
I will get in my crawl space and see exactly how much room there is to work, but I am fairly certain it is half the moving around space as the rest of it. Might be difficult to really be able to do anything meaningful in there. I will write back once I am down there and inspecting. Say for argument I am able to get in there, what would be something I could do from that standpoint?

Reaction score
Is the movement due to frost in the ground, or something else?
If it is frost in the ground, you could use ground insulation plates, about one meter horizontally out from the wall and/or around support points for the porch. Depending on what is moving. You need to do it on both sides of the wall if it is frost on both sides. It depends on how deep in the ground your wall foundation is.

Ask a Question