New kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im getting a new kitchen , they say i need end panels but im getting the cabinets the same colour as the doors also there is very little of the sides you can see so i dont see spending £600 on end panels needed . Im getting a belfast sink unit and they say you have to have end panels . Do you have to have end panels . ? Many thanks

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

We have a fitted kitchen that has end panels. But we've just drawers below the counter tops, so they need the end panels to support the runners. If we had cupboards, we'd still need end panels, as they are necessary on which to hang the doors.
Cupboard doors and drawers, are usually as wide as the aperture, plus the width of the end panels.

P1060390.JPG

They are just laminated chipboard like the rest of the carcasses.

It might be possible to get a wood yard to cut some laminate to make your own end panels. If you can match the finish, or a contrasting one would not look out of place.

I got a wood yard last year to do just that and cut some shelves and another firm to make me a door and some drawer fronts and yet another, to supply a length of pelmet. Fortunately, it all matched.

This was following a request from my wife, who said. "Can we have another cupboard next to this one?"

P1050569.JPG

The firm that made and fitted the kitchen, fifteen years before, had long gone bust, so I was on my own.

So, "anything for a quiet life."

P1050596.JPG

All I had to do was assemble it. Fortunately, our local wood yard has sophisticated cutting machines, they just have to programme in the measurements,

P1000355.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question