Kitchen unit repair

Reaction score
Hi , I am just about move flat (rented) and I am going to be unplumbing a dishwasher to take with me. When it was installed the plumber made a hole in the side of the under sink kitchen cabinet (pine coloured) to thread through the waste and water pipe. I need to repair / fill in this hole now I am moving , the hole is 40mm in diameter and 18 mm in depth. It’s highly unlikely the repair will need to be drilled or screwed into and will need to take no weight. What would be the best and quickest method to fill this hole in ?

Reaction score
Fill it? With filler? Might work but will look pretty awful.

A better way would be to get a hole saw of the right size, get some timber or board and cut a new circular blank and glue in place.

If you have to use filler, use a coloured wood filler, two part, put a piece of hardboard or ply on one side to keep the filler in place and do it in several fills, not all at once.

Next time, keep the bit that was cut out.

Reaction score

A better way would be to get a hole saw of the right size, get some timber or board and cut a new circular blank and glue in place.

If you have to use filler, use a coloured wood filler, two part, put a piece of hardboard or ply on one side to keep the filler in place and do it in several fills, not all at once.

Thanks for the helpful reply. I think I will try the filler solution as the cosmetic side of things is not so important.

Reaction score

With the hard board / ply , do you remove that before the filler is dry ?

Ask a Question