Neighbour Building Balcony (No Permission)

Reaction score
My Neighbour is building a large extension to the rear and obtain planning permission. I did not object, as the proposal would have no effect on my property, and seem within guidelines.

According to the plans and description, the flatroof was to be replace with a pitched roof over the rear first floor bedroom, plus a single storey rear conservatory extension.

Yesterday it appear that there had been a change of plan and when I discuss this will the builder, he explain that the owner had three options, and has now decided to build a balcony, right by my bedroom window. There is no mention of a balcony being built on the planning application.

The builder then contacted the owner about my objection. But the owner did not want to speak to me about it.

Of course I will get in touch with my local council first thing tomorrow morning, hopefully to get this nonsence sorted out. So far only a small part of the work has been completed.

I'm now getting a little worry about this and would be grateful for any advice, on how best to tackle this situation.

Thanks in advance.
William

Reaction score
I understand it can bother you. But if he has permission, can he not do whatever he wants?It is his house he is building a balcony on,right?

Reaction score
Balconies are a big no no in todays planning rules. Search google for 'planning portal' and see typical planning rules.

Contact the planning authority concerned if it becomes clear your neighbor is in fact building a balcony.

Reaction score
I understand it can bother you. But if he has permission, can he not do whatever he wants?It is his house he is building a balcony on,right?
Not in the UK, Patan! And he does NOT have permission for a balcony (see original post)

Reaction score
If he doesn't have permission then you have a case. But enforcing your case is the real problem. It's going to be awkward with your neighbor when all is said and done.

Ask a Question