Need help on how to prep floor

cjd

Reaction score
We are going to put down laminate flooring (looks like wood but it not the kind that snaps together). We are putting it in the kitchen and dining room of a rental. I have 2 prep questions because the floors are different in the kitchen and dining room.

1. In the kitchen. Vinyl flooring was put on top of vinyl flooring. We have taken the first layer off as it was not put on properly and was coming up. The flooring underneath isn't coming up anywhere. However, the stuff used to adhere the vinyl flooring to the old flooring isn't coming up.
Does it have to be taken off, sanded down? before putting the new flooring down?

2. The dinning room has carpet. We have removed the carpet, etc. to the subfloor. Do we need to put something between the sub-floor and the laminate or just glue it to the sub-floor.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Hi cjd
I'm no expert on flooring, but as you mention this is a rental property, I can only give you a personal opinion based on experience. I would do the exact opposite, and use a professionally laid commercial quality vinyl in the kitchen. Reason being that it will stand up to water spillage far better than laminate that is very easily damaged.

Again the opposite, I would lay a medium quality carpet in the lounge, on a crumb rubber underlay to minimise denting from furniture. It can always be cleaned, and is easily replaced when required. Again laminate is easily scratched, or damaged in other ways.

Sorry, I'm only expressing a personal opinion for a rented property. Perhaps an expert on flooring may give you a better answer.

Ask a Question