Masterboard and Asbestos

Reaction score
Does any Masterboard contain asbestos, if so is it unsafe? I was told by a surveyor that Masterboard contains mica which can look like asbestos but is safe is this true?

Reaction score
Does any Masterboard contain asbestos, if so is it unsafe? I was told by a surveyor that Masterboard contains mica which can look like asbestos but is safe is this true?
Yes, masterboard is composed of calcium silicate, a kind of mica if you will. Some asbestos are calcium silicates. Asbestos is not just one type and other types can still cause lung injury. Asbestos. You may want to call the company, Promat for further questions and safety issues with their product.

Reaction score
I was cutting into my floor ro work on some plumbing. I have a crawl space. Under the plywood underlayment is a fiber type board. i cut into unknowing. It is over my hvac return duct whcih encapsulates the return between joists.

I am not sure if it is asbestos? And if it is what do i do? Its broken up now and in my hvac ventilations system.

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi Larry, to be on the safe side you should have your HVAC system and air in the household tested by pros. Abatement if necessary.

Ask a Question