Asbestos in loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have loose fill insulation in the loft (see photo attached). I'm quite certain it's mineral wool or something along those lines, but would appreciate some second opinions. Thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
Dan,

The Insulation appears to be an old "loose fill" glass wool or mineral wool, both materials do NOT contain Asbestos.
If you are concerned, there are several UK based firms that will [for a fee] test the material for you chesk the WWW for Asbestos test houses.

Can I ask? the cut off flexi duct seen in the second image? what does it serve? is it a vent from [say] a bathroom? If so, it is of concern because if the Flexi duct is still in use, it could be pumping a load of warm moist air into the loft, not what you want.

What is the ventilation like in the loft? is there a flow of air in there? there should be eaves vents along each side of the roof?

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ken,
Thank you for the second opinion. Appreciated. The flexi duct is attached to the extractor fan from in the bathroom. As far as I'm aware it vents to the underside of the eave but I haven't investigated that far. The loft space doesn't feel damp, and I've boarded half as an office and no obvious signs. Might check out where the ducting exits though.

Thanks,
Dan

Reaction score
Dan.

The Flexi duct I an concerned about is the one that has been cut off, and has what appears to be some electrical wiring adjacent to it?

Yes there appears to be a Flexi Duct sloping down and presumably venting at the eaves.

Can I suggest you furn on the fan and see if there is any air being "dumped" into the loft, if so it MUST be addressed.

Yes the loft in today's weather will feel OK but when the air temperature externally drops below Zero + a good going gale then condensation will occur if that cut Flexi is not correctly vented to atmosphere externally.

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK I see what you mean. I will check it out. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It's not asbestos. KenGMac is right about the condensation. If your living in a climate where is drops below 32deg F, or zero C, the warm moist air on the inside of the flexible duct will condense into water, and drip down into the fan, then onto the floor. It's not a terrible thing, but annoying to have water dripping from your bath's exhaust fan cover.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure I can see plasterboard under that circle of ducting. I think what we are looking at could well just be an offcut carelessly tossed there...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully this link will clarify the conditions when moisture from condensation can become a problem.

Ask a Question