Lost power

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my basement I have one section with a light bulb and three outlets. I plugged my vacuum in and it immediately shut off, and the light went out too. Now I have no power in that part of my basement. The rest of the house was not effected. Does anyone know what I should do to restore power? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
In my basement I have one section with a light bulb and three outlets. I plugged my vacuum in and it immediately shut off, and the light went out too. Now I have no power in that part of my basement. The rest of the house was not effected. Does anyone know what I should do to restore power? Thanks in advance!

Have a look at the consumer unit, see if any of the mini breakers have tripped.

They should be labeled to tell you which lights and sockets they supply.

Often as not, a lamp "blowing" is enough to trip a mini breaker

Unplug the vacuum.

Re-set the breaker. If the lamp doesn't come on, turn it off and replace the bulb.
If it comes on you should have cured the problem

I'd also check the plug on the vacuum, before you plug it back in, make sure there isn't a loose wire that has touched another.
If it's OK, plug it in and try it. If it doesn't come on, unplug it, change the fuse in the plug and try again.
If the mini breaker trips again, there's a short in the vacuum or its cable.

Check the plug. If it's OK.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like it was a mini breaker. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
I think you guys across the Atlantic wire things up a bit differently and lighting and power can be on the same circuit.
The clue is the trip when you plug the vacuum cleaner in.
If you have three outlets and a vacuum cleaner trips it, then the circuit isn't up to it.
Alternatively, the breaker is a ground fault unit and the cleaner has a fault on it.

Reaction score
I think you guys across the Atlantic wire things up a bit differently and lighting and power can be on the same circuit.
The clue is the trip when you plug the vacuum cleaner in.
If you have three outlets and a vacuum cleaner trips it, then the circuit isn't up to it.
Alternatively, the breaker is a ground fault unit and the cleaner has a fault on it.

Piglet, look at the reply above.

The problem was resolved.
The lamp blowing tripped the mini breaker, as I said in my post, this often happens.

Even if one of the eight fifty watt halogen spotlights in our kitchen fails, it will as like as not trip the ground floor lighting mini breaker.

Reaction score
6p/hour.

Expensive at this time of year.

Thought about LED bulbs?
Thanks all the same,

Never give it a thought, the bother of changing them isn't worth the saving. It's not that we're in the kitchen that much, it's not a diner, so we're in and out.
The biggest expense is our tumble dryer, it gets used a lot every day, as my wife has MS and can't manage a clothes line and I wouldn't want her to have to. There's no way I'm going to either, though I don't mind loading and unloading the machines for her.
Wear something once, take it off and shes got it in the wash. But that's our lifestyle, we don't have to watch the pennies.

Our gas and electric bills come to nearly £2,000 a year. It doesn't bother me, but I'm always looking for the best rates.

Ask a Question