Loss of heat through detached ductwork - how much $$ lost?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been having sky-high power bills for the last two winters - about $5000 for the six months. (Seattle) I have tried everything, audits, insulation, new roof, check the furnace and heat pump, etc. Finally I had someone look at the ductwork in the crawlspace. There were a handful of large leaks, and also the duct to one room was completely detached, so the heat just poured into the crawlspace. I am wondering if these by themselves would explain the high bills. I know this is not something you can really measure, but for folks who have dealt with duct leaks, does anyone have a feel for how much extra $$ my leaks might have cost me? If it sounds like not enough to explain the bills, then I will keep on searching for other causes during the summer. Thanks!

Reaction score
It may not be the only reason for the high cost of heating but it certainly is the MAIN cause. Have all the ducts replaced, not a patch job. It will probably pay for itself in 2 years.

Ask a Question