loft conversion

Reaction score
in the next 12 months i am considering the idea of a loft conversion to add a forth bedroom.
it is a 1930s semi with a huge roof space 18ftx18ft of floor space and plenty of space in the eaves for storage and a height of 10ft at its highest point.
i consider myself as a confident diyer and have done many of the jobs since moving here 2 years ago.i am thinking of just a partial conversion and doing the rest myself. i would need the floor strengthening, staircase installing and plumbing and electrics doing. is the rest of the work doable or would it be better to have a builder do the lot?
i have been in touch with the local council and do not need planning permission just building regs as having velux rooflights and not a dormer.

any advice most apperciated:):)

Reaction score
i did one in a timber frame house which was far more diffiicut as the framing was all to be redone and i managed it ok. Its virtually a just straightforward joinery work so depends on your skill level. you will need buiding warrant.

Reaction score
Honestly, I would say don't do it yourself. We here from a lot of people installing Velux rooflights, and honestly, even the builders sometimes get it wrong. Also, make sure you consult with your builder as to what size of windows your roof can take, before you go ahead and order them. Believe it or not, this is a very common mistake to make.

Also, don't make the hole in your roof until your roof window has actually arrived. Certainly don't make the hole before you'v even ordered it, only to find that the required size does not actually exist. Common sense, you'd think, but also happens rather a lot.

So, above all, think and plan well ahead, but don't get ahead of yourself if you see what i mean. Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Kensyard. It is tricky to get the sealing of the window correct. The consequences of possible water damage probably aren't worth the risk.

Reaction score
I also suggest that you should consult with the builder and he can help you in this matter. People always making a mistake that they are not consulted and after wastage of time and money then they will call to professional builders.

Ask a Question