Dorma Loft Conversion - roof inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Dorma loft conversion - it came with the house.

When we take out house insurance, because of the flat roof aspect, the insurers are wanting a roof inspection every five years to cover the dorma extension.

I'm finding it hard to find someone who will do this, does anyone else have a Dorma conversion, and if so do they get a roof inspection periodically?

Living down in Devon - Thanks

Reaction score
Sounds a bit picky to me.
Are the insurers referring to the dormer (Dorma do beds or bedding) flat roof?
I can't see why it should be any different to any other flat roof.
Normal flat roofs on extensions don't attract additional inspections as far as I know.
If they are worried about damp, then you would soon see that and it would be up to you to fix it.
You could try asking the local Building Inspectors about it, or a knowledgeable local builder.

Reaction score
In Policies taken out with a "Name" or "Consortium" at Lloyds that cover [say] warehouses, and other large domestic or Corporate properties, Offices, hotels Etc. with re-build values calculated in Millions of £££ these types of policies almost always have as a requirement, a clause that asks the Policy Holder to undertake flat roof inspections at XXX year intervals, the inspection can ask that this type of survey is undertaken by either a Surveyor or simply a qualified roofer, all depends on policy wording.

In effect the above policies are issued by "underwriters" and not a "high street" Insurance Company.

it is unusual to have a roof inspection clause incorporated into a "Domestic" policy, unless there is a very large area of flat roof.

Suggest you go back to your insurer and ask for clarification.
1/. Is it really needed for a domestic Policy?
2/ Tell them you will get a local Qualified roofer to undertake the survey.

Ask a Question