Loft conversion options

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post so be gentle!

Im considering doing a part DIY loft conversion mainly to add some much needed space to my upstairs flat,

The current roof is in need of quite a large amount of work which is the main reason i decided a loft conversion would be a good idea, its probably the origional roof so is about 110 years old, and has no felt in place and aquite alot of sag!

At the moment the current roof is an old fashioned rafter style roof with no central supports, however the maximum height in the center of the roof is about 6ft 3, so im going to have to either lower the downstairs ceilings or increase the pitch of the roof (current pitch is about 35 degrees) or do both!

So now that some of the backround is out the way, my ideas go along the lines of... compleatly remove the old roof and fit some room in roof trusses, these will probably be 40 or 45 degrees to increase the usable space as much as possible, now my first question is do the RIR trusses still require me to fit a large amount of steel to the roof or are they all timber constructed with adequete sized and strength for a flooring to be laid?

I have no real building experience at this level but i would consider my self ver good with my hands and have friends with building experience i can rope in to help, i also understand that if it is to be a habitable space i will need to meet all the building regs which i tintend to do, and obvioulsy changing the pitch and overalll height of the roof i will need to seek planning premission,

So any advice and help would be greatly appriciated
Paul.

Reaction score
Ive got a similar situation with the loft height ,from the rafters to the apex not being quite enough. I think you need something like 80 inches,but dont quote me. I have thought about converting all the same. A couple of friends have said its possible to knock out the diagnal supports on the roof trusses,and beef it up with extra vertical supports,giving you an area that is workable.
In regards of your roof paul i assume your property is detatched. Are there any buildings in your area with greater pitched roofs? This generally makes the standard of what can be done

Ask a Question