Lamp with a 2 pole switch

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm not an electrician and hate working with 240v but in my shop we have been given a spotlight with a plug.

The only issue we have is the plug socket is on the roof and every night when shutting we have to climb up ladders to unplug the light.

So I bought a simple 2 pole light switch and thought I would put the wires in one side and the other and ta dah! a switch but nope.

I have 2 wires a live and neutral, and 3 holes on my switch...

My understanding would be the live wire would not break and the neutral wire would go between the switch.

Am I right or is there an explosion and broken RCD going to happen?

Reaction score
I understand that the 3 holes on the switch are for controlling anther light instead of an on/off but that's all I'm after on/off - I'm no good at 240 but give me a 5v micro circuit and il solve it no problem the 240v death, 5v tingle is a Hugh difference and blowing a 5v circuit is fixable while a RCD and 240 with a chance of death is to much to risk for me.. I have even debated on whether to build a 5v motion sensor so the spotlight only comes on when motion is detected via a 5v to 240 relay, that's easier for me to build then to wire up a simple 240 switch!

That way as well would save electric, but probably annoy the customers who are looking at the goods and not moved for 5 mins light off light on,

Reaction score
I suggest a single pole switch & break the hot . If you have 3 screw on your switch , it is a 3 way switch SPDT . A 2 pole switch has 4 screw terminals , as does a 4 way switch . Neither of which you require .

God bless
Wyr

Ask a Question