Is it OK render a wall when night temp is forecast at -2 degrees?

Reaction score
We're about to render an exterior wall 27msquare this weekend - temperature predicted -2 at night- will this affect the first coat ? Any ideas on what we can do? Tips and advice most welcome!

Reaction score
I'm not a professional but from the work I have helped my professional builders with i'd say its too cold to do it and you risk it cracking. Have you SBR'd it or used any plastersizer? This will help but not sure about how much it will help as if any water in the mix will freeze and expand then shrink when the temp goes up.

This is my first post,, and only my opinion...

Reaction score
It's not worth the risk - if it freezes your render, it won't do its job and will crack and fall off.

Reaction score
usually temp needs to be 3 degrees and rising to lay bricks, point, render etc. id leave any external work on that scale to late march, april time once the frost has broke. you can buy frost proofs but im not to sure if id still risk it, make sure you use lashings of uni bond, and sharp sand. makes it the ultimate weather proof :) ( when applied in good conditions) me and my dad have the chimney stack to do on the house soon but just been waiting for the weather to break as the last thing you want is a lump of render dropping on your clean polished car 4 months down the line >.<

Ask a Question