IKEA wooden pegs/dowels protruding through wooden table (photos)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!

Very amateur DIY person here. I put together a new wooden garden table from IKEA and when I flipped it over I noticed that the wooden pegs/dowels had started to come through the surface, splintering the wood and cracking the paintwork.

Any tips or suggestions on how best to salvage it would be much appreciated.

Photos attached.

Attachments

Reaction score
I suppose that's what happens when the dowels are perfectly positioned inside the hole, but just to be "sure" you carry on using the hammer. Provided you haven't glued the dowel it should be fixable.

Waterproof PVA sparingly applied all around it. Push down with fingers to squeeze all the excess out and clean it up. The object is to have as thin as possible layer of pva to join the two surfaces together. Then clamp having placed a piece of flat pastic between the repair and the wood you're using so they don't stick together. If it's on a dowel then you are at a junction so you may need two clamps to make a bridge of your clamping bit of wood. Don't forget to pack an extra bit of wood right on top of the repair so you get max pressure at the repair point.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks. That's really helpful and much appreciated.

Ask a Question