How to stop condensation on Windows?

Reaction score
Hello fellow DIYers,

I have wooden sash windows in my house and I seem to get condensation forming on some of the window panes. It's not on all of them, just some of the panes at the bottom. Our house is toasty warm and it's not too cold outside, but I can't understand why some panes would have condensation on them and not others.

We have double glazing, so could this mean that the vacuum between the glass has failed on some windows?

Reaction score
Hi Topper
If you have failed double glazed units there will be moisture between the panes of glass. If you have condensation on the inside of the windows, it would indicate excessive moisture in your home. maybe you need a tumble dryer, and extract fans in the kitchen and bathroom.
Why some, and not others, makes me wonder, have some been replaced in the past ?

Reaction score
The condensation is the result of humidity indoors. Look at the location of the windows with the condensation to see if there is any reason why the humidity might be higher (Are they near a shower or a dryer). It is possible that the windows are not functioning properly - air is leaking in between the panes of glass and conducting heat. Are all of the windows the same? The gap between the panes can make a difference as well.

Reaction score
I must be going stupid, as when I double checked, the condensation is actually INSIDE the double glazing. Is that something I can fix, or do I need to replace the glass?

Reaction score
Hi Topper
In that case, the only choice is to replace the sealed units. It's one of those things I'm afraid, they do fail from time to time.

Reaction score
Hi Topper, I agree with JohnKay on this one. If the condensation is between the panes of glass the whole unit has failed and needs to be replaced. It isn't enough to try to reseal them as the moisture will be trapped inside.

If you can live with the problem, you can wait until the weather is better to replace them, but you will be losing more heat through the windows until they are replaced. If it is left too long, the moisture could migrate and create other problems.

Ask a Question