Tumble Dryer stopped turning and smells of burning.

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Hoover tumble dryer that has suddenly stopped turning around ( it turns both ways) and has started to smell of burning. I have taken the lid off and the belts are on fine, and if I push the drum it will carry on tumble dryer as normal, but it can't start itself turning...it has to have that initial push, but when it comes to turning in the other direction it needs a push again. The only way I can get my clothes dry is to stand there and push the drum in each direction each time it stops turning, as you can guess this is takin up hours of my time. Can anyone think of what could be wrong and why it can't turn itself at the begging, once ive given it that initial push its absolutely fine!! Its not smelling of burning anymore.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A very easy and cheap repair Carolyn so don't despair; sure sign of capacitor failure;

Please double check to ensure the plug is pulled we don't want to electrocute you.

Our dryer takes an 8uF capacitor and these are readily available through eBay; when you remove the faulty capacitor have a look and note the uF number then simply buy another.

Good luck. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Colin

I have seen the post above you replied to back in 2020 about solving an issue with a tumble Dryer not turning and smelling of burning.

I have the same issue with a Hoover tumble and was wondering if you would be a le to help me solve the problem.

In the post I saw you said about replacing the capacitor, but I can't see to get to this.

I have taken the top off the tumble but the back and 2 sides seem to be one fabricated part which I can't get off.

Appreciate any help you may have.

Model number is VTC 580NB-80

Thanks
Craig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A very easy and cheap repair Carolyn so don't despair; sure sign of capacitor failure;

Please double check to ensure the plug is pulled we don't want to electrocute you.

Our dryer takes an 8uF capacitor and these are readily available through eBay; when you remove the faulty capacitor have a look and note the uF number then simply buy another.

Good luck. :)

Kind regards, Colin.
Hi,

I have seen a post you replied to back in 2020 about solving an issue with a tumble Dryer not turning and smelling of burning.

I have the same issue with a Hoover tumble and was wondering if you would be a le to help me solve the problem.

In the post I saw you said about replacing the capacitor, but I can't see to get to this.

I have taken the top off the tumble but the back and 2 sides seem to be one fabricated part which I can't get off.

Appreciate any help you may have.

Model number is VTC 580NB-80

Thanks
Craig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please bear in mind Craig it might not be the capacitor at fault especially if the fault includes a burning smell which could easily cause a fire.

https://service.hoover.co.uk/advice-centre/tumble-dryers/vtc-580nb80/

https://service.hoover.co.uk/media/ul1fr2o0/vtc-580nb-80-pdf.pdf

The information at the links should help but I'm very careful when discussing electrical work so you do any work entirely at your own risk.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THE DRIER IS UNPLUGGED AND ALSO BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL IF HANDLING CAPACITORS/CONDENSERS BECAUSE THESE CAN GIVE A NASTY SHOCK EVEN IF THE APPLIANCE IS UNPLUGGED: THEY CAN HOLD A FIULL ELECTRICAL CHARGE SO BROWSE THE WEB HOW TO DISCHARGE A CAPACITOR.

Good luck and play safe.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

1669202599326.png

Capacitors are cheap and the one in the tumble drier should have details on it; ours is an 8uF and years ago I bought a bulk box of 200 because I was always playing around in the workshop. uF size is important but higher voltage rating will work; never install a lower voltage rated capacitor it could explode.

Just for interest here's a bank of capacitors I used in order to phase balance my home wound 3 phase 415V transformer to my industrial Startrite Volant 24" bandsaw. Capacitors connected like this command utmost respect and great care is needed to ensure they are fully discharged before even touching them.

Startrite Volant 24 (4).JPG

I've not done much in the workshop for quite a while but this winter I've now got an Howard Bulldog petrol rotavator to restore.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question