Stop UPVC door draft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help,
I have been trying to stop the draft from my Uvpc double doors on the south facing garden. It's really windy on the back and so i can't help but get drafts because of the doors.
I have tried new rubber strip gaskets, adding foam strips on top of the gaskets to seal the evident gap and even tried adjusting the hinges... Its still there... The gap and draft... Any ideas please?
Thank you

Reaction score
It sounds as if the door frame may be out of square. A proper fitting door should have an even gap all around and it should be at the most 4mm. Perhaps your door is too small for the casing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's the gap between the seal and the door frame not the size of the door within the frame

Reaction score
Is this a "lay-on" door? - i.e. does the door fit on top of the frame or is it flush with the frame?
As Doug says, it could be that the door is not fitting properly in or on top of the frame.
If the frame hasn't been fitted squarely and and not in plane i.e. twisted, it will never seal.
The so-called professionals call this adjusting process "heel and toeing" - can't think why.
Another problem possibly is that some of the factory fitted seals on doors and windows are bonded to the edges and lose their elasticity over time.
A good door fit relies on the hinges being in the right places and adjusted correctly, and the same applies to the locking side with 3-point locking - the locks are supposed to pull the door tight into the frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As far as my understanding it fits over the frame and the black gasget acts as a wind proof seal. the pictures above might explain it better with regards to its fitting. Tbh im not sure what you mean?
thankyou

Reaction score
Hello
If the door fits over the frame and not inside the frame, it's a lay-on door - the same term is used for kitchen cabinet doors.
The draft seal is made entirely by the rubber strip around the edge of the door.
From outside, with the door locked from inside, you should not be able to easily insert a credit card or similar between the frame and the door, all the way round.
I can only speak for my doors that are lay-on, but the seal is firmly attached to the PVC.
I have seen PVC replacement seals on Google, but I havre no idea how they are fixed.
If the credit card test shows that the gap is uneven, then the door is not lined up properly with the frame.
On similar kitchen cabinet doors, you can adjust all the directions.
I can see from the hinge photo that you have standard door hinges and you can se the head of the long screw that holds the two parts (frame and door) together.
If you aren't confident to fiddle with adjustments, I would get a window and door fitter in.
The 4-mm gap Doug refers to is the gap you can see from inside.
Try and get a better photo from outside showing the edge of the door and the door frame.

Reaction score
Edit
Can't tell from your photographs what you have there.
The one with the brickwork suggests this is an outward opening door and the seal will be on door frame.
Has this had any damage?
You shouldn't be able to see the socket head screw - it normal is sealed with a round plug.
The gap does look a bit tight and might cause the door to bind.
You need some better pics to make any sense, open and closed door(s)

Ask a Question