Kitchen hot water faucet slowing to stop

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our home was built in '68 and, of course we're dealing with galvanized pipes. I'm no plumber by any means but our kitchen sink has slowed to nill. When I replaced the water heater shortly after moving here I found scale buildup at the connection to the house. This was about 5 years ago. I suspect that while the cold water is fine the hot water at that one fixture is zip, I may be dealing with rust or scale. I'm going to try and see if I can shut off the water remove the valve and run a screwdriver up the supply line to dislodge any crud and get the ball rolling. My poor wife is having fits over this.

Under kitchen sink .jpg

Ratz the darned supply line is behind a plywood panel, guess I'll have to cut the panel dangit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Been there and done that, thank so much for your response! I really like your moniker, when I was in the Marines, I was an RTO with those old PRC radios, my moniker was 'Silent Screamer'

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pipe was good water flows freely through the shutoffs. the supply lines drained freely too. Must be the cheap American Standard faucet has an issue but removing it it not going so easy so far. Can't get a grip on the faucet nut.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, got the bugger off. I got pretty frustrated attempting to use two faucet wrenches, needle noze fice grips then even tried PB Blaster penetrant. Before the stores closed I went out and got an odd clamping spanner and a new inexpensive faucet. I got back and crawled under the sink again and only touched the new tool to the nut and it moved. Turns out I was too impatient for the PB Blaster to work. I removed the nut by hand. Putting the new nut and washer I coated the whole works with dielectric grease to inhibit oxidation the next time I have to do this... One final hurdle the new faucet uses 1/2 inch supply line ends and the existing from the pipes are 3/8. At least I have enough pieces to get the cold water working.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking last night as I went to bed, there's such things as small footprint automotive fuel filters why not for water? From a Plumbers' forum I learned about Wye, or Y strainers...
http://www.stayflowproducts.com/Y_Strainers/YST0/

...that are put inline with the feed to the appliance. since I have a coupler installed anyway from the 3/8" nipple of the pipe to the 1/2" faucet, why not install one of these dingus' at that junction, correctly oriented of course.

Reaction score
Be ready to change the filter every year or so. The crud in municipal water lines could gag a horse. When I was in college I worked summers as a laborer for an underground construction company. Much of our work was replacing old water mains. The crud we found inside those pipes made me swear off tap water. Today I have a whole house filter as well as a filter on our kitchen faucet. I still don’t like to drink the water coming from our tap.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yep we have an under sink filter alreadyfor drinking water and coffee, but for the main kitchen faucet where we wash our dishes and so forth, it's beginning to look like my choices are to replace the faucet every five years or so, or introduce a Wye or Y strainer, if my 'better half' will relent.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just saw a 1/2 inch FPT T strainer when I was on Yahoo, I wonder if these come in steel or iron and I could thread one of these onto the supply valve nipples?
12 F_MPT strainer .jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ratz the darned supply line is behind a plywood panel, guess I'll have to cut the panel dangit.

(NOT a comment on your plumbing skills - I was just reminded of it when you talked about stuff being behind a panel....)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been there and done that, thank so much for your response! I really like your moniker, when I was in the Marines, I was an RTO with those old PRC radios, my moniker was 'Silent Screamer'
I assumed it was a reference to that 1970's sci-fi film with Bruce Dern...

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's okay, I know that I actually have no plumbing skills, my expertise (if I really have any) lies in the automotive realm of the last century.
Merry Christmas to you and yours :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's okay, I know that I actually have no plumbing skills, my expertise (if I really have any) lies in the automotive realm of the last century.
Ah - the days when you could open the bonnet of a car, and see the ground beneath the engine, which had about 2 wires running to it, and if a non-runner/resto turned over, had compression and a spark you just knew that you'd be able to get the engine running pretty easily.

Now, the handbook for my car won't even tell me how to change the headlamp bulbs, nor would it be realistic for anybody, no matter how skilled, to do it by the roadside, especially the one on the left.

Merry Christmas to you and yours :)
And you.

Hope you enjoy the video.

Ask a Question