How to change a broken bulb

Reaction score
I'm living alone in my new house for 3 months and when i was cleaning my room and try to clean the bulb I accidentally broke the light bulb the problem is I cant change it because nothing left to broken bulb to twist it.:(:(:(:(:(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums sharmane.

First of all, don't try to touch it when the power is on - that's probably obvious, but wanted to make sure! You'll need to turn the power off at the switchboard and then it may be easier to remove the light fixture from the ceiling so you can remove the bulb on the ground. Some long nose pliers will probably give you enough to grip on to.

If you're not familiar with removing light fixtures then it may be worth asking around to see if anyone you know can help you with it. It would take seconds for an electrician, but it's certainly something you could tackle yourself. I wouldn't recommend twisting the bulb out from the fixture while it's on the ceiling unless you're aware of the risks (i.e. is the power off, can you have both hands free up a ladder, etc...).

Reaction score
If you have a raw potato or carrot in fridge take it and shove directly up into the broken bulb and turn counterclockwise
(Lefty Losey, Righty Tighty)
If you CAN kill the power going to that fixture first please do so...

Reaction score
Guys thank you for all of your help I appreciate it much, and thank for the Potato ideas very helpful:):):):):):)

Reaction score
If you have a raw potato or carrot in fridge take it and shove directly up into the broken bulb and turn counterclockwise
If you CAN kill the power going to that fixture first please do so...

Reaction score
If you CAN kill the power going to that fixture first please do so...[/QUOTE

Thank you very much :):):):):):)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums sharmane.

First of all, don't try to touch it when the power is on - that's probably obvious, but wanted to make sure! You'll need to turn the power off at the switchboard and then it may be easier to remove the light fixture from the ceiling so you can remove the bulb on the ground. Some long nose pliers will probably give you enough to grip on to.

If you're not familiar with removing light fixtures then it may be worth asking around to see if anyone you know can help you with it. It would take seconds for an electrician, but it's certainly something you could tackle yourself. I wouldn't recommend twisting the bulb out from the fixture while it's on the ceiling unless you're aware of the risks (i.e. is the power off, can you have both hands free up a ladder, etc...).
Thank you very much:):):):):):):):)

Ask a Question