DIY Tire Change

Reaction score
Country
United States
How longs it been since you put a new tire and tube on the wheel yourself? It's been awhile for me so I had to recall some old tricks plus came up with a new trick or 2 or 3 maybe 4. I'd rather do a 17" than a 8 inch lawn trailer tire.

Attachments

Reaction score
The problem most people have with8” tires is that they try to take too much tire bead at a time. They also fail to use rubber lubricant in the process. With proper lube and a handful of old screw drivers the job is quite easy. Unfortunately, I have had a lot of experience repairing tires on lawn equipment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The problem with this tire replacement was the wheel Disc halves were too narrow where they join in the bottom not conveniently allowing enough space for a 4 ply tire. The wheel was made for 2 ply tires but, with the assistance of 2 large C-Clamps the 2 beads could be forced and held to the smallest diameter of the wheel allowing the 2nd bead to take its place.

If you have a drill press with a locking quill it's handy to hold the wheel at a convenient working height. Old folks have learned a few tricks as life progresses.

My first experience with tires was in about 1948 helping my father a put a full Boot in 4 Model A tires so Goat Heads didn't puncture the tubes. The boots were made there on the ranch from other old worn tires that had cords showing also. The best tire iron was a half leaf spring that's tapered and yes I still have that tire iron. And Yep, we walked to school 1-1/4 miles in 2 ft. deep snow up hill both ways.

Attachments

Ask a Question