Hot Water Heater issues after repair

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am not the most experienced or knowledgable DIY guy my wife actually calls a FIU guy. I had begun to notice that our hot water wasn't lasting as long as it used to. I tested the elements of my Whirlpool Electric Hot Water Heater and they both read 13.5 ohms. But i was not satisfied with the results that i was seeing so i purchased a kit to replace both elements (4500 watt just as before) and both thermostats. I did this last night and now i have two concerns.

1) The water is not as hot as it was before. at no point do i feel the water approaching scalding like it used to even though it was only for a limited time. I set both thermostats to approximately 125 degrees hoping that 5 extra degrees would provide the desired results.

2) the copper pipes in my ceiling are clamped to wooden runners and are pressed against paper backed insulation. The pipes were very warm before the maintenance but since are hotter than i prefer to leave my fingers on for more than a couple of seconds. Is this a potential fire hazard?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question