Can I move the expansion chamber to the side of the hot water heater?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am needing to move the hot water heater into a space that is shorter than where it currently resides. It will have about six inches of clearance above the tank. So, due to this, I need to move the expansion tank. Can the tank be moved to be on the side of the hot water heater?

IMG_1638.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the help.

Doe the expansion tank have to be above the top of the hot water heater?

Also, the copper pipe connecting the expansion tank to the heater, is welded together. I'm not comfortable with my copper welding skills. Are there other options for making this connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can’t buy plastic push fit connectors in 15mm and 22mm which are easy to self install and are effective

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So if you are moving the tank, leave the original weld connection and saw off the copper pipe at an expedient point to reconnect with a push fit straight or elbow connector

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately, after looking it over, I am not going to have any room for the expansion tape to go on top of the hot water heater. Checkout the diagram I've posted below. The black lines is the wall. This is how, in my mind, I will set it up. Question, how should I secure the lines going up to the water heater and the expansion tank? Anything else I should think about?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The options in the diagram below should help. Smaller expansion tanks can be installed horizontally, however you must have a secure strapping system attached to the ceiling to prevent the connection failing due to its weight.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do the vertical water lines need to be secured to anything? I could nail in a 2x4 to clip them to.

For the expansion chamber, can it be strapped down directly to the floor joist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
pipe Brackets are always helpful to avoid structural failure. You may have to build a sub frame to attach dependant on the pipes location. Hope this makes sense

Ask a Question