Garage Mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a new property with a stand alone garage with a roller shutter to the front.
During the move, due to the loft not being boarded I put a lot of the items in the garage. The items have been in the garage for a couple of months I'm boxes, material bags etc but when I checked in the garage the other day at least a third of the items were covered in mould including bags, clothes, even wooden furniture. I noticed that the back wall of the garage felt slightly wet but apart from that there was nothing else noticeable, there is no mould growing on the garage itself just the items. I did notice that on some of the plastic boxes they were wet at the bottom.

Is there any way that I can fix this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had another look and it also appears the bricks appear to be different colours (attached) I'm just wondering if the bricks at a lower level appear to be a bit mouldy.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to the garage is built into some land which goes up the back and side of the garage (probably around 3/4) of the way up. I'm just wondering if damp could be coming in this way?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've seen this over-and-over again. Bricks and blocks are VERY porous. If you place a brick on a work bench, wet the bottom of it, within a few hours the TOP of the brick will be damp, not wet, just damp. Air circulates around the damp bricks, evaporation occurs, increased the humidity in the garage, starts mold in places where the moisture can condense back to water. Unless you want to do some more major work in that garage, I would only suggest a de-humidifier running on slow. Turn it ON/OFF as you gauge it's reserve tank. Its a cheap answer, and de-humidifiers work VERY well.

Ask a Question