Garage junction box

Reaction score
I am wiring my garage for new florescent lighting. From the panel I ran one 12/2 to a junction box in the garage ceiling. From this junction I will run up to five 12/2's to connect 6 or 7 four bulb fixtures, T12 40W bulbs. I know I could loop the fixtures to avoid wire nuting 5 or 6 wires but it's not going to work out that way.Three wall switches will control these fixtures. Is wiring like this from an accessible junction standard practice? Any issue with 5 or 6 12/2s under one wire nut?

Irv

Reaction score
You'll have to first make sure the junction box is sized correctly for that many wires. See National Electrical code (or your local equivalent). As for how many wires per nut, that should be marked on the package of wire nuts (reason: different manufacturers make similar-appearing nuts that have differing capacities). With those two things taken into account, there's no reason not to wire things that way.

Reaction score
No, wiring all the lights from one junction box is not standard practice. You will need a junction box that accommodates at least 25 cubic inches (two gang) to wire it this way. That's figured based on each 12/2 (common & neutral) accounting for 2.25 cubic inches and being less than 12" long in the box. Grounding pigtail only counts as 2.25 cubic inches once for the purpose of calculating box fill. Remember that is the minimum size box you will need, it would behoove you to use a box larger than you need. Also remember that junction boxes must be in accessible locations (attic, crawlspace, or installed with a blank plate on a wall or ceiling) and can NOT be buried and/or hidden by code.

Reaction score
The junction box I am using is a 3 gang Carlon BH353A 52 cu in. Printed in the box is 23/12 which is 2,25 cu in per wire. I will have 5 12/2's coming into the box totaling 15 wires. Whites, blacks and grounds wirenutted. I think I am good to go.

Ask a Question