Fitting a Salamander shower pump

Reaction score
Hi all - first post - sorry it's a long one!

We have two showers (Mira manual mixers) with terrible flowrates. They are fed independently from the cold header and hot cylinder by 15mm pipes routed through the loft so I'm tempted to fit a Salamander RSP50 to improve the situation. I figure that with one shower running it would give the power shower experience and with two an acceptable standard shower in each.

My plan was to use both current 15mm feeds for both hot and cold and tee them just before the pump to keep the suction pressure drop to a minimum and then pipe the discharge to the showers in single 15mm pipe.

Looking at all of the constraints in the instructions though, I notice the need to fit an anti gravity loop to the hot feed. I've checked out the connection from the hot water cylinder and it's a top fitting which then dives downstairs (via one elbow to turn it horizontal and a second to turn it down) and the two shower feeds are tee'd off the down feed at about 170mm and 350mm below the horizontal pipe.

So I'm wondering, would this "down across and up routing" serve the purpose of an antigravity loop?

I note the 170mm drop is not the 200mm minimum recommended but would using both feeds (and the second being 350mm) help this?

Or would I be better using just a single feed from the one that is 350mm below. I would plan to put the pump directly above in the loft where the pipe currently breaks though the plasterboard so the run would be as short as possible from a pressure drop point of view.

Thanks for any advice.

Ask a Question