Gas pilot line Fittings

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a quest of sorts to straighten out/repair the burner pilot on a gas insert. The design for repair accessibility is atrocious but I have gotten to where I more or less got things straightened out but I have questions maybe someone can answer. On the gas pilot burner feed line, 1/8" aluminum, it seems different manufacturers have different kinds/style/shape of compression fittings. In seeking what I needed I noticed some are breakaway compression design. Does anyone know why two ends of a line like this would have a more or less ferule fitting on one end and a breakaway on the other? Just does not seem to make sense to me but I guess there is a reason. The prices for replacements lines are almost criminal: One place asks $109 for a 18 or so inch 1/8 line with fittings. Amazon prices are $12 or so....which seems about right.

Reaction score
The problem with being an old engineer is your wife says things like…..you think you know everything….etc. And some of us just won’t stop asking questions. Anyway, I have another question. Are the fittings, in general, on gas pilot lines, all breakaway ferule fittings? Seems like that’s what I keep seeing even though my gas insert pilot line seems to have separate ferrule-nut. But maybe that’s just because it was installed. It does not look like it was snapped as it should during installation but I never worked with these before. You can buy a fitting for anywhere from $10 to $35 for what looks to the same 1/8 inch fitting. Just seems like this is way more cryptic than I can sort. I hope I can find some one who is an expert dealing with gas pilot lines….tubing and fitting….why are the lines aluminum and not copper? You can find various answers but there has to be an expert explanation. Any further incite would be welcomed.

Reaction score
It would help to know what a gas insert is.

There are loads of different fittings out there and I'm guessing that you are North America?

In which case, your screwed fittings are likely to be NPT, but that is a guess.

As far as tube material goes, if it's natural gas, brass, copper or stainless would do. Some steel tube is plated and might look like aluminium. Test with a magnet.

I have worked with all sorts of gases, all at very high pressure, including hydrogen, oxygen and acetylene.

We always used top quality fittings like Swagelok, Parker Hannifin, Whitey for safety critical jobs, and pipework was either copper or stainless.

Swagelok are two ferrule fittings, expensive, but highly reliable.

Reaction score
An afterthought.

Natural gas can be quite a mixture compared to say methane or propane. The are often traces of corrosives like sulphur compounds, in fact the "smell" of natural gas is due to the sulphur additives.

I would play safe and use stainless. Aluminium is too reactive for my liking.

Reaction score
I found a couple of bits of info. To answer your questions. Yes, North America and the insert is a fireplace insert. Gas fired burner with fake logs to look like a wood fire. Kind of neat, remote control heating with ambiance I suppose. The gas pilot is an always on flame that uses a thermocouple and a thermopile as safety devices to open the pilot gas valve. The line is 1/8 aluminum and I read different reasons why aluminum. One idea is copper would be corroded by the gas additives. That does not make a lot of sense but I can't find any info to confirm or refute. A rational reason aluminum is used is because the tightness of where the valves, lines and pilot are crammed into and the flexibility is needed to get it in. The threads are tubing not pipe threads. With aluminum I understand the compression fittings are used because the threads do no sealing as do pipe threads but just hold the compression fitting in place.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the sake of clarification, natural gas is Methane (CH4), a molecule of which consists of one atom of carbon, and 4 atoms of hydrogen. When combusted, the 'products of combustion' ('exhaust gases') are carbon dioxide and water vapour. The additive which gives it it's obnoxious small isn't sulphur (US sulfur) - it's 'tetrahydrothiophene' which does contain one atom of sulphur. It was chosen as the closest chemical which would smell similar to the gas produced from coal, the smell of which people were familiar with, when conversion from coal gas to natural gas was undertaken, (in the UK in the late 1960s - late 1970s).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahydrothiophene

Natural gas doesn't corrode any metal.

For 150 years coal gas was distributed through cast iron pipelines, (largely replaced with yellow HDPE plastic nowadays), and internal pipework was mostly of iron and lead. For the last 65 years or so (in the UK at any rate), domestic pipework has been light gauge copper pipe, with either compression or soldered joints. In commercial and industrial premises, larger diameter pipework it will be in steel, especially if their could be a risk of damage. Some pipework on gas appliances has been brass, copper steel or aluminium, the benefit of aluminium and steel being that, (as with car brake pipelines), it can be 'flared' at the ends to make gas-tight compression connections. Aluminium is fine, but most internal gas pipework on appliances tends to be galvanised steel, which is more rigid.

Hope that might be of interest.

David.

Reaction score
Gas companies add a harmless chemical called mercaptan to give it its distinctive “rotten egg” smell. Copied this from some on line reference. In the USA gases that are explosive, natural, propane are to my understanding doped with this stuff. It does stink and is distinctive so you know if there is a gas leak. From what I have seen, pilot gas supply lines are typcially copper or aluminum. I have not seen flared aluminum as I think it would not be very strong and hold the flare well. Copper seems to work for flares but apparently the connector of choice is a compression type fitting with a ferule. Flexible gas lines seem now to be stainless with some sort of plastic covering. Installation here in New England had always been black steel pipes.

Reaction score
Without risking this becoming an additive discussion, I do have experience with all these sulphur compounds through research into odour compounds in septic sewage and developed a method to capture and analyse them.

Many sulphur compounds have distinct odours at very low concentrations. Hydrogen sulphide can be detected by odour as low as 10 parts per billion in air. Thiols and organic sulphides are all odour compounds.

MarineBob is correct on mercaptan, otherwise known as methanethiol.

To quote Mr Google " Mercaptan, also known as methanethiol is a foul-smelling gas that is added to natural gas. Since natural gas is colourless and odourless, mercaptan acts as an odorant to make it easier to detect. It is added as a safety measure to ensure that natural gas leaks do not go undetected. "

Where Bob is slightly off on that one, is it's hydrogen sulphide that has the rotten egg smell and mercaptan is more like the odour given off by well rotted dead animal bodies and for that reason, many reported gas leaks turn out to be the latter. Just out of interest, hydrogen sulphide goes through several odour stages. At low levels, it's the rotten egg smell. At higher concentrations it becomes a sweet smell. Above that, it can be fatal and in the sewer and agricultural industries, it causes fatalities.

I have a good nose for these gases and have reported four gas leaks in two years alone.

I've also worked with methane in calibrating instruments used by workers in confined spaces.

Dry hydrocarbon gases obviously do not corrode metals. But adding sulphur compounds and maybe some moisture does increase the risk of of the sulphur compounds reacting with metals. If you have ever smelt old brass or copper fittings you will know what I mean.

It wasn't so long ago that there was an incident in the UK where a water main managed to discharge into a gas main. Gas appliance users suddenly found water coming out of their cookers etc.

In conversations with the Southern Gas Networks fitters where I have reported leaks, they are almost always due to corrosion of metal fittings. The corrosion was probably external, but it can give a route in for moisture.

In all my work with gases in laboratories, moisture was guarded against by passing the gases through molecular sieves to ensure absolute removal of water vapour.

Of course the plastic mains should reduce that problem but there are many thousands of miles of old steel and iron mains around.

A far greater worry is the proposal to add hydrogen to the mix. Hydrogen through it's much smaller molecular size, will find leak sites that methane will not pass through. There is already a requirement for the equivalent of a 4" round ventilation hole at ceiling level, permanently open for premises using hydrogen mixes. It took a lot of effort to get leak-free installations into laboratories using pure hydrogen in analytical instruments, hence the high quality fittings mentioned before.

There have been several houses totally destroyed recently by natural gas leaks and that will probably get more frequent when a mix or worse still 100% hydrogen is used. Another safety issue is that pure hydrogen burns with a totally colourless flame. The only way to "see" the flame is by collecting the water vapour on a cold surface like a mirror.

Ask a Question