Fit gate post to concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to fit gate posts but don’t want to cement posts into ground. Is it possible to create cement footings for gate and use bolt down anchors for the posts. What’s best way to do it. 2400mm post and 1820 gate. Anchor for 4x4 post.

If footings is ok...
1) Can I use postcrete for footing or do I need a different mix of cement.
2) How deep will the concrete footing need to be into ground.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Bluntly, It may work for a little while but it is not really a good idea.

The really weak link will be the junction of post to collar, there are post hold down metal "devices" do not take kindly to this option.

With that size of post + the weight of the gate ??? + wind loading blowing the gate in all directions???

Sorry about that.

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ken
Appreciate you reply / response. I was unsure though based on your comments I see where you’re coming from. I may well go the conventional method and concrete the post in.
Thanks
Steve

Reaction score
What I've done in the past is to concrete in a length of 4 x 4 box section steel with the top at ground level. You have to round off the corners of the post to get it in and maybe a few mm off the size, but it's much easier to change when it rots away. For any amount of load (heavy gates, high-wind-resistace fencing) go as deep into the ground as the post is above. For lighter loads 1/3 or 1/4 would probably do.

I now use 4x4 steel for the posts, it doesn't rot as quickly as the wood

Ask a Question