Connecting 28mm gate valve to 1" male fitting

Reaction score
Hello forums.

I am trying to connect a 1" BSP male connection to a 28mm gate valve. What would be the best way of doing this, using compression fittings only? Is there a connector I can use that will sit between the two without any copper pipe?

I am in the UK, so is there is a screwfix part that would be very helpful.

Reaction score
Hi spork
In a word, no. You need a copper x iron fitting and a 28mm short.
Could you explain exactly what you are trying to do. Is this a cylinder primary connection, or what? and why don't you want any copper between the two? With a bit more info, I could advise further.

Reaction score
Thank you JohnKay!

I have a water pump which has a 1" BSP male connection and this is connected to a gate valve a short distance away via some pipework that I'd like to replace. I bought in some 1" M/F flexible hose, so I can connect that directly to the pump at one end. I was hoping that I could screw a 1" female/28mm female reducer to the end of the hose and straight on to the gate valve.

I am very much a plumbing novice.

Attachments

Reaction score
The threads on a 28 gate valve will not be BSP, and may even differ between manufacturers. The only other suggestion I can make, is to swap the valve for a 1 inch BSP version. Won't be easy to obtain, but a proper plumbers merchants should be able to help. All in all, the best way would be to obtain a bit of 28 copper.

As a novice, working on 1 inch/28mm is jumping in the deep end ! Best of luck.

Reaction score
It sounds like I may be biting off more than I can chew. Would I be ok leaving a small amount of copper pipe between the gate valve and a 1" > 28mm coupler, from which I could screw the 1" BSP pipe on to?

Reaction score
Yes, a bit of copper between the two. Loads of PTFE tape on the BSP threads, but not on the compression fittings. Just a little joint compound such as Water Hawk or Boss Green on the olives. You'll need two decent wrenches to tighten it all.

Reaction score
Thank you, I'll give this a try next week when the pipe arrives! I've got another question to post in the mean time, but I'll do that in a new thread.

Reaction score
Hi John, do I use boss green like a normal plumbing compound (a bit on the outside of a pipe?). It seems a little different, quite dry to what I've seen before. Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
If you are referring to the compression fitting, yes a little on the pipe and olive is a good idea. Boss Green shouldn't be that dry. Rightly or wrongly the usual application method is to smear it on with your finger. Nothing whatever on the thread though.

Reaction score
Thanks John, hoping to have the job finished tomorrow, been waiting on a new compression elbow to arrive. Really appreciate your advice!

Reaction score
Thank you for your help John, I've finished this now and wanted to come back to say thank you.

It took a couple of attempts, as the flexible hose isn't as flexible as I'd imagined, so had to add some additional copper pipework. It also dribbled from the threaded fittings on the first attempt, so I bought some Fernox LS-X instead of Boss Green and it made a big difference.

Reaction score
It's really good to get the feedback. Good work, pleased it's OK. If your next plumbing job is on 15mm, you'll find it easy.

Ask a Question