Connecting drain pipe to highway drainage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Ok, current situation is that guttering from my terrace property (and neighbor) currently runs via downpipe to soak away into my front courtyard /garden
Problem is that front 'garden' is tiny and the soak away does not cope resulting in flooding and damp problems. I’m thinking that the existing set up is never going to work due to size limitations and soak away not being far enough from house + no room to move it.
I thinking the answer will probably be for water to feed into the road drainage at the front of the house.
Question is how to go about this? Do I have to request the water authority to do the work or could I simply DIY run a piece of pipe / channel through the foot of my garden wall to end at the pavement so the water runs across the pavement into the road drain?
(I know the DIY option sounds a bit dodgy! but I did live in a previous property which was a terrace with no forecourt at all and the all properties in the area had downpipes that ran water across the pavement into the road)
If I were to proceed with a DIY fix I’m guessing I would still need to inform water authority and incur an additional charge for draining water into their system?
Any advice or alternative suggestion will be much appreciated!
Cheers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your local authority will not allow you to feed the drainage water into mains water pipes due to the debris. The best option is to fit an elbow fitting to the base of the down pipe. This will allow you to connect a further piece of down pipe to extend drainage to the bottom of the garden. Even if your new pipe work drains in to the street and inadvertently goes in to a public drain, you won’t be charged by the council. As far as the rising damp this problem has caused inside, I would get a preservation expert to inject a new damp proof course in to the affected wall if your property is pre 1960. This typically costs around £200.00. The only thing to do after that is to dehumidify the residual damp from the wall inside the house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Stanley
Pretty much what i was thinking. Problem is front 'garden' is tiny so new pipe would still only take water about 3 feet max from the house. I can solve by making sure water definitly ' inadvertently' finds its way through the foot of my garden wall, the pavement then slopes nicely strait to a road grid exactly opposite where the pipe will end. Pleasantly surprised to here there will be no cost implications. very helpful, much appreciated

Reaction score
A couple of points.
If the soakaway worked before, maybe the pipes going into it are blocked.
I have seen them wall to wall blocked with silt etc. Clay pipes could have broken.
Don't try and rod towards the soakaway- makes matters worse.
Look to see if water comes out of any joints in heavy rain - a sure sign of blockages.
Local authorities will take a dim view of new connections going into surface water drains.
If it's a combined surface water/sewage system where you are, they will taker a dimmer view.
It's all under SUDS - Sustainable Urban Drainage regulations.
Your water and waste bills will show if you get a surface water drainage discount for using a soakaway.
By disconnecting from the soakaway, you "should" report it to the company, and your bill will increase.
If you don't and it comes to light, you will get a hefty back payment bill.
I'm a big fan of water butts.
You get free water and it acts as a large gully pot to separate solids.
If the downpipe is shared, get your neighbor to cough up.
Personally, I would try and get the soakaway working, even if it means a bit of digging.
I know older properties used to drain across the footpath, but it's not great for pedestrians

Ask a Question