Fisher&Paykel washing machine Model LW035 (Phase 4) - Error #136 (Stalled Motor) - Very puzzling

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
This concerns my 25 year old Fisher&Paykel washing machine Model LW035 (Phase 4)

In summary, I changed the bearings and completed one entire washing cycle. On the second run, the motor became very sluggish and ultimately I received error code #136, Motor Stall.

Poor connections around the stator seemed a likely cause, since I had attached and reattached them.
  • I cleaned all of the connections to the stator coils
  • I cleaned the link between the three windings
  • I checked continuity from the motor control box down to the stator
Was a winding damaged? I measured each winding to be 6.2 ohms and no sign of damage.

A likely culprit was the position sensor. This had failed a few months back and I had repaired one of the rails. However, at the control board I tested the output of the three sensors and each went from 0.5V to 4.9V and back again when I rotated the drum very slightly.

During my latest test, I discovered to my horror that the rotor was rubbing against the stator! I have cleaned up the stator and slightly rotated it but there is definitely some rubbing still going on.

When the rotor is not attached, the drum rotates freely and there is no sign that the bearings are improperly installed.

The pump is working properly.

Despite my best efforts, the machine fails to go into spin mode or agitate properly and gives the Error Code #136.

All and any help will be much appreciated.

Peter

Reaction score
If the rotor is contacting the stator, that's generally a sign of a problem with the bearing at either end of the rotor or where those bearings are seated, unless the stator has moved, which is less likely. If rubbing occurs, the rotor will either stop, or you'll overheat the motor. You may need a new motor, if you can't get it to freely rotate.

Ask a Question