Extending a socket cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an extension which was built sometime in the distant past. It has one double socket and I want to fit another one next to it. Took the socket front off and found there is barely any cable length to enable me to get at the back and remove the wires. I can just about reach the connecting screws but it would be a b***er to get them back on. Is there a way of making the wires longer and be safe (apart from a solder job which I could do). I would then have enough room to play with.

Thanks

Brian

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I should have added that the cable into the socket is 6mm cooker cable, don't ask me why! I just want to add 2.5mm twin and earth to the 6mm cable.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, if I understand you right, I would put a 6" (150mm or so) pigtail on the back of the receptacle, then splice your new 2.5mm twin, and new 6" pigtail, and the supply cable (from the wall) all together with a wire-nut (AKA - Marrette, wire-cap, wirenut, etc...). You won't have too much wire coming from the wall (the supply, that is), but you'll have enough to splice on an extension (your pigtail) which will re-feed your existing double socket. Along with that splice, you'll also feed your new additional socket.

I hope I understood this correct, and it was helpful.

Good Luck.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, we don't have wire nuts in the UK (as fas as I know anyway), I did use them in Canada when I visited my son. cannot say I was overly impressed with them though.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh, ok....I am understanding "wire nuts" are a manufacturers term, not an actual title of the product. In any case, there are wire connectors that I do and don't like as well.

I did some reading and found the UK has disallowed the use of "twist-on" wire connectors! I found that surprising as we (in North America) use them EVERYWHERE. True, we have push-in terminations too, but not nearly as common as twist on type.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the back box is deep enough I think you could use wago connectors which can handle up to 6mm cables

Ask a Question