Drill not going deep enough into wall

Reaction score
Hi! I have just moved to a new house and I’m trying to put up curtain rails. The thing is my drill will only get through the soft plaster of 1cm and then it meets with a very hard wall which it can’t penetrate. I am using masonry drill bits and have already bent one. It just won’t get through at all, it’s almost as if there is solid steel behind the plaster. Does anyone have experience of this or can suggest anything to help me?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Make sure you’re not hitting a nail head that it is in fact a metal beam, to start with

Reaction score
Hi Siobhan

If it's a new build, there may be a catnic lintel above the window that you more than likely are hitting.
Something like this.
700956-320-500x500.jpg

In older houses they can be more substantial or just like substantial wire mesh.

If there's nowhere else you can put the fixing, try using a quality metal drill.
You'll then need something like a long plasterboard fixing rather than plastic plugs.

Ask a Question