Drilling a ceramic tile

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there!
I am doing this for the very 1st time.
I am just hoping you guys can confirm if my experience so far is normal (expected). Or not, due to something being off: maybe I should be using a different drill bit, or drill, maybe I am not pressing hard enough.
So far I have been pressing at medium strength (I guess). I am certainly being careful not to press too much, as the last thing I want is to crack the tile.
See the photos to see my progress. It has taken me about 2 minutes worth of drilling.
The drill bit: 5/32", High speed steel for general purpose drilling into metal and wood.

What do you guys think?
Should I just continue, or there is something I should change?

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You should use a tile drill bit.

1654533780289.png

slow speed, no hammer, lubricate with water.

Reaction score
Use the tip pf the bit to scratch the tile where you want the hole center. That will help to keep the drill bit from wandering

Reaction score
Country
United States
I ended up using a small diamond hole bit (from AliExpress). As it is not a point, it did not wander at the beginning. I used slow speed and water to clean and cool the hole frequently

Reaction score
Maybe late, but I have drilled sea glass with those bits to hang on a necklace. You can make a sort of round dam around the hole with plumbers putty to hold a bit of water. Secret with diamond drills is do not let them get hot and they last a lot longer than if they heat up

Ask a Question