Best drill bit for vinyl

Reaction score
I have to drill at least a 1/4 hole through my 20y/o siding and I want to have the least chance of messing it up.. Is there a best type of bit for doing this?
Thanks
Mike

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Do NOT use an auger
Do NOT use a boring bit
Do NOT use a self feeding (screw tip) bit
While a high-steed steel bit can be used (in fast speed, low pressure), I'd use a step drill bit if your a novice. A step drill bit is pretty safe for acrylic/vinyl, it won't draw the material upwards as it has no flutes, and also creates a perfectly round hole (high speed bit holes are mis-shaped).

Get a 1/4" step bit (AKA stepper bit).
High speed, low pressure on the drill. No oil req'd.

Reaction score
Thank you for this answer. I just bought one on Amazon.. I don't need any trouble from the wife:)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Good for you. It will work perfectly for you.

Being married for almost 32 years, I agree with the idiom "Happy Wife.....Happy Life!!!!"

Good Luck

Reaction score
LOL.. thanks and the opposite is true. Grumpy wife Grumpy life.. Hey since you know more about Electricity than I do about .. well anything can you tell me what you "personally" think about this idea I have.. I am the one having a Ring camera on the outside of my garage and the junction box on the inside.. Although it might not be to code, I am thinking of puttin a GFCI in the junction box just in case "somehow" water gets insid the light fixture. Why it might not be to code is that it would be inside the junction box. I would always rather be safe than sorry. 14 gauge wire = 15 amp gfci

BTW, thanks for all your great knowledge

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A camera is what we call "extra low voltage", so the voltages present in camera's are not such that you need worry about human shock hazards nor fire.
You mentioned a camera, then a light fixture....not sure what your putting outside in front of the garage?
- If its a camera, don't worry about it, as said above.
- If its a light, you needn't worry about it neither, but if you want to connect it downstream of a GFCI, you can. It is odd to stuff a GFCI into a closed junction box. Remember that the GFCI has a reset button....to reset it, you'd have to remember its in the box, and thereby open the junction box to manually reset. If you do use a GFCI, use what we call a "dead front GFCI".
14AWG and 15a GFCI is fine....All good.

Good Luck....let me know.

Reaction score
Google says it uses 24 watts and between 0.1 to 0.218 amps... Sounds like you are right and it is not needed+ I just found that I have liquid electrical tape so I can really make the connections water tight
Thanks

Ask a Question