DIY Brick shed build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to build a brick shed in my back yard that I plan to use as a home office. The external dimensions will be 2.5m x 3m. 3 of the walls are already built; 1 is the kitchen wall, and the other 2 are the existing garden walls. The plan is to put in a composite door and some windows that are too small for anyone to climb into for security reasons, as I will have my PC and other stuff kept inside.

I haven't really done anything to this scale before, but I am good with DIY so I would like to do everything I can myself. The only thing I will need someone to do is the brick laying for the 1 wall that need to be built. I have a few questions:

1. Floor
On most tutorials I've seen, they dig the ground up and put a plastic sheet down and then cement over it. I'm guessing the purpose of the plastic sheet is to stop the damp rising? My garden floor is already solid concreate, so do I still need to dig it up to put the plastic sheet down? If not, can I just put the plastic sheet underneath the flooring that goes in?

2. Walls

The 2 existing garden walls are 2 bricks thick without a cavity gap. Will these be okay? I plan to put some treated timber vertically on the walls, and some kingspan insulation inbetween. And then maybe some horizontal cladding over the top. Will I need some form of waterproof-ness? Maybe a plastic sheet ontop of the timber but before the kingspan goes in? How will this be stuck to the wall?

I'm okay with the roof I think. It will be a sloped roof and I plan to add some insulation between the rafters. I'm also okay with the electrics

Ask a Question