Damp hidden with stud wall

Reaction score
Hi,

We are purchasing a basement flat (built 1980's) and we have had a full survey carried out.

I have just received a call from the surveyor to tell me he has noticed damp on the outside wall which has been concealed with stud walls and he is going to investigate this further.

Our main concerns for this property were damp issues and suitable drainage...especially with the weather in recent months.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm just wondering whether this should sound alarm bells or is this easily treated (something I will probably get the vendors to do before we move in - does anyone have an idea of cost?).

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't have a lot of experience of this, but I gather that this can often be a problem with subterrainian buildings. It is far more difficult to shed water under ground level.

Has the room been converted from a cellar?

What is outside the wall, is there a gap behind the wall, or does it back onto earth?

Reaction score
Much like Gissle I can't bring a wealth of experience to this conversation. I did once have a hotel in Brixham (built on a hillside) that had two subterranean room. Whilst getting the place ready for re-sale (as flats) a lot of effort went into ensure the suitable damp barriers were installed.

At the end the we still had a slight issue due to slightly ill conceived window drain off area. In the end I treated the surrounding exterior surface (bricks and concrete) with some high grade waterproofing liquid and whilst it would require future maintenance it did solve the problem.

At the end of the day, see what the surveyor says.

Ask a Question