damp around window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
not sure if this a window issue but I am in this house for the first winter and I am getting black mould around the window frame where it meets the wall. The walls of the house are solid stone around 2ft thick. The house is in 2 sections and the more modern section with cavity walls is not showing any damp. I believe all the windows in the property were replaced at the same time. I am wondering if the fitting company did not fit the windows in the old part of the house correctly. I do have a problem with water ingress above one of the other windows (window cladding leak picture) but it is hard to tell exactly where it is coming through due to wooden cladding in the window casement. It also looks like a DPM has been installed under the planks above the window but it doesn't appear to have worked as water drips through around the middle plank when it rains

I am unsure if this is a window or penetrating damp issue or cowboy window fitters

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of sorting the problems with all 4 of the lower floor windows in my house. It was unfortunately Cowboys who were at work. All windows fitted were fitted into a space that used to accommodate wooden frames. The wooden frames left a rather large gap around the windows. To fit the windows expanding foam was sprayed all round but wasn't able to seal the windows. The attached picture gives an indication of the size of the void. To fix it I have removed all the foam and used mortar and cement board to fill the gap at the top and a process of forcing mortar in with a wooden baton for the sides. It has taken ages and I haven't caulked around the frames yet but there is no sign of any water ingress. After several processes of dumping mortar onto the cement board at the top I have left the boards in situ as shown in the attached picture

Attachments

Ask a Question