Cutting hardened steel rod

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced the hook on the end of a set of portable scales, as the previous one was too small. However, I need to cut off a 7mm diameter hardened rod to get it to fit.

However, all of my tools bounce off it. My hacksaw won't make a dint, my bolt cutters wouldn't touch it and my angle grinder + metal cutting wheel is nowhere near delicate enough for this small job, as there are other delicate parts near it.

Any suggestions for other tools that would be useful at cutting a hardened steel rod? A dremel would be delicate enough, but I doubt a cutting wheel would survive the task.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A bit of a dilemma Ian?

First thought is can you remove the rod? If so then a thin cut off wheel on your angle grinder will do the job.

If not how about diamond cut off discs for your Dremel; I've never used a Dremel but it's an option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-261...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4N22VFPR4E3QHY3RFQ3X

I'm unsure if diamond cutting discs are available for a "Multitool"?

Just a couple of ideas?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I didn't realise there were diamond cut off discs for Dremels. That should do the job :). I'll get that later today!

I can't remove the rod unfortunately, but I can definitely get a Dremel in - so this should fix it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good luck Ian and you're welcome. I don't have a Dremel but I'm just nosy so as I have a 9" dia diamond disc for my angle grinder I wondered if a diamond disc would be available for a Dremel?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a set of cutting discs for the Dremel and that did just the job :). They've improved a lot since the last mini cutting discs I bought - these ones have a "quick release" mandrel.

Ask a Question